Thursday, January 3, 2013

A Note About Rituals

 A new year brings with it the promise of a fresh start. But why? Why is it that we choose this one day a year to start over, empower ourselves to do new things and reach beyond our comfort levels? Wouldn't it be better to do it everyday? I think the answer lies in the power of ritual. Setting aside days that are significant and meaningful are an important part of our lives. From celebrating one's birthday, to observing an anniversary, we mark the things that mean the most and in doing so, create value and meaning in our lives. If we take this and scale it down, we can create small daily rituals that can have profound impacts on our lives. We can motivate, inspire, teach and comfort ourselves with just a few simple gestures. Here are a few small rituals that I've heard about (and some I've tried) from readers that have made big differences in their lives:

* "I like to light a candle every morning to invite light and wisdom into my life" - Darlene B.
* "As soon as I pour my coffee, I write down the things I want to accomplish that day and put it in my wallet. I check it throughout the day to make sure I'm on track" - Daniel R.
* "I say a prayer every morning before I get out of bed to have a good day" - Amber C.

So, whether you are looking for some guidance, to keep those resolutions or just to get better organized, bringing the energy of the new year into your daily life can be a wonderful, uplifting experience and help you create the changes you long for. 



No comments:

Post a Comment